Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southern living

I have been living in the South for eight months now! The time has flown by and while I miss my friends and family so much I do love the south. However Im still very much an outsider when it comes to somethings.... I will always be a Midwest girl at heart and apparently in the way I talk.
I decided to make a fun little list of some of things I have learned since moving here:

- When I say or ask for 'pop'no one has a clue as to what I want or mean

-Monograming is huge, everyone has at least a few things monogrammed whether it be shirts, purses, bags, cellphone case, license plate, stickers, jewelry, towels, baby bibs etc. I must admit I do like monograming and just bought a tank top! 

-While I think it sounds so cute and polite I can never for life of me remember to call people ma'am and sir. And when I do remember it sounds so weird to me and makes me think I'm talking to a police officer

-All bars and restaurants close at midnight on Saturday nights as it is against the law to serve any alcohol on Sundays in Georgia

-I can't bring myself to say y'all. While at times I contemplate it I feel like I would be a fake if I did. 

-I talk way way too fast

-I also apparently walk super fast

-There are more people who are passive aggressive compared to the North where you kinda just say it how it is

-Pollen is a horrible horrible thing that makes your nose itch, nose run, sneeze and just makes you miserable

-You can find fried chicken pretty much everywhere

-There are way more fast food choices...My current love-Zaxbys for example

-Everyone is friendly pretty anytime of day

-Cost of living is a lot lot cheaper 

-I have become a baby to the cold weather (Happened so fast!)

-I miss Meijer 

-People bundle there kids up when the temp is in the 60's

-Lots of people love grits, I do not. Lol

-Everytime it rains it seems like it's a tropical storm 


While I miss my home in Michigan I do love it down here. Happy Thursday! Don't forget to enter the April Showers Bring May Flowers giveaway! Today is the last day to enter. 

Mary xx

18 comments:

  1. This post makes me miss the south ;)!!! Xx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post. I lived right outside of DC and went further south for college. It took me a year before I would say y'all and now I do it all the time, haha.

    Monogramming is a tad bit whoa in the south. It's everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in Ohio & moved to Oklahoma in middle school. I completely get this post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband always teases me because I say "pop" and can't get into the habit of saying anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun list! I can't imagine how different it must be for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This list makes me smile :) sure do love the South!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha love this! When my brother visits OK he freezes now, when it's not even cold! He's used to the beach life now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This makes me smile!!!! Love the Southern life! :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post... its crazy to see how different areas do things and what we begin to learn about ourselves!! :) I enjoy following your blog soooo I have nominated you for the Liebster award!! You can find more details at my page: http://perfectlyscrubbed.blogspot.com/2014/04/liebster-award.html. Have a good weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Close at midnight?! That is crazy! A lot of bars in Chicago stay open until 4 am.. not that I ever make it that late haha. And I miss Meijer, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha, love this. I just can't get behind grits. We do love our monogramming, and fried chicken is a food group in its own =) When I went to uni in CO people always commented that I was extremely friendly, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this! I need to visit the south someday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The walking thing is hilarious - because when I go home to visit I feel like I could trample over everyone...must be because I walk everywhere!! Love your list!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You miss Meijer?! Girl - Publix is way better... Get with the program!! Bless your heart.. ;)

    LOVE YOU MARY!! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was fun for another Midwestern girl to read ;) I always think the south seems so charming! I hope you enjoy the differences, and don't miss everything "back home" too much. ;) ... Have a fabulous weekend, Mary!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. haha I'm from Aus and living in KY - I can really relate to some of these! have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was so fun to read! I've always lived in the south, but I think if I ever did live in the north or the midwest or anywhere else really that I'd have a list of these type things as well! Glad to hear you've jumped on the monogram train :) Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i grew up in waycross-think i've told you that before, but anyway, i grew up with ma'am and sir. and then when i moved to atlanta, i found you NEVER say it here and that ppl get offended!! but oh yes, southerners love a monogram.

    ReplyDelete

© Your Blog Title. Powered by