Monday, February 17, 2014

Sushi Lovers Over Here

What an amazing weekend! Although I am super tired this Monday morning, the fun weekend activities were well worth it. 

Friday evening was the perfect night in with Gavin. I came home to our apartment lit with candles with champagne  and roses waiting for me on the table. And he loved all of my sweet/corny valentine treats. I think the winner goes to "I cereal-ously love you"

We went into our sushi making experience thinking it was most likely going to be a big disaster. Everyone told us it was really hard, but at least we would have fun. 
Ingredients:
-Tuna
-Imitation crab meat
-Avacados
-Cream Cheese
-Seaweed
-Short Grained Rice
-Spicy Mayo

We started by putting rice on the seaweed then pilling in our tuna, crab, avacado and cream cheese. 

Next you roll it up slowly and tightly

Then we worked as a team. Gavin kept his hands on each end of the roll and I used a big knife to cut the rolls. We were honestly shocked at how well they turned out and rather impressed with ourselves. Not to mention they were delicious! 


Pretty sure making sushi together will turn into our new favorite thing, especially since we are sushi lovers. We plan to make some with my Mom when she visits and then again in the spring when Gavin's parents come visit. 

We finished off our lovely evening watching the film Captain Phillips. We were both fans of it. It was quite an anxiety filled movie. Hope you all had a lovely weekend and enjoyed it as much as we did! 

~Mary xx 

11 comments:

  1. SO cool that y'all made your own!!! It looks so good! I am a sushi fanatic!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sooo fun too! And not nearly as hard as everyone made it out to be! :)

      Delete
  2. Ohhh I would love to do this! Where did you get all your supplies from? So cute working together to make it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually able to find everything at Publix. You can find them all relatively cheap, I think the most expensive ingredient was the avocados lol

      Delete
  3. Hey, that's awesome it turned out so well and was tasty!! that's certainly an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a lot of fun, and a change from our normal routine of date night.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad it went well! And that it was easier than you expected - always a plus. Was it hard finding the seaweed? And, you didn't use one of those bamboo roller things either. Those two things having always been my hesitation, never felt like putting in the effort to find them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the seaweed right by the prepared sushi at Publix for $2!! I didn't use the bamboo roller mats because honestly i couldn't be bothered to try and find them lol and it worked out fine. We did put the rice on the inside of our seaweed and I'm guessing those mats are a necessity when you want the rice on the outside. Tastes the same either way to me lol I was surprised how easy it was to find the seaweed. We also cut ours in half to make more rolls. The hardest thing to find was the short grain rice, since we dont have an Asian food store and most ppl cook with long grain or jasmine.

      Delete
  5. So glad you posted this!! And that it was a success! It looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to hear that you want to make them again when I come to visit :-). It will be a fun and yummy project!
    Love ~ Mom

    ReplyDelete

© Your Blog Title. Powered by